State Medicaid Health IT Plan
The State Medicaid Health Information Technology Plan (SMHP) describes the
activities Michigan will be engaged in over the next 5 years relative to
implementing Section 4201 Medicaid provisions of the American Recovery and
Reinvestment Act (ARRA). These activities will fall in three main areas:
- Administer the incentive payments to eligible professionals and hospitals;
- Conduct adequate oversight of the program, including tracking meaningful
use by providers; and
- Pursue initiatives to encourage the adoption of certified EHR technology to
promote health care quality and the exchange of health care information.
This document will describe how Michigan intends to:
- Administer the Electronic Health Record (EHR) incentive payments to eligible
- Monitor EHR incentive payments to eligible health providers.
- Coordinate all ongoing Health IT (HIT) initiatives including Medicaid EHR
Incentive Program, Statewide Health Information Exchange (HIE) initiatives and
Regional Extension Centers supported by the Office of the National Coordinator
for HIT (ONC) and other programs.
- Outline various sources of funding for HIT initiatives including HITECH
Implementation-APD or an MMIS APD.
The SMHP consists of the following main sections:
- Michigan’s “As-Is” HIT Landscape
- Michigan’s “To-Be” HIT Landscape
- Michigan’s Medicaid EHR Incentive Program Implementation Plan and Audit Strategy
- Michigan’s HIT Roadmap
Public input is welcomed on this document. Comments will be accepted on an ongoing basis. Comments should be directed to
MDCH-EHR@michigan.gov with the subject of "SMHP Comment". Meaningful comments
will be responded to and incorporated into the next version as appropriate.
Medicaid Health IT Plan [Full document, PDF, 7.81 MB]